D.M. Wills Associates Limited is in search of a Senior Project Engineer/Project Engineer to join our Dams and Water Control Structures Group. The ideal candidate will have a background in structural, water resources or geotechnical engineering.
Reporting to the Dams and Water Control Structures Group Leader you will provide project management and engineering services in support of a range of dam and water control structure projects. The work may also include work outside of the office environment, including dam inspections and other field investigations.
- Contribute to business development and marketing activities for existing and new clients and undertake the preparation of technical proposals.
- Undertake project management and execution of dam related projects including environmental assessments, dam safety reviews, public safety risk assessments, dam rehabilitation or replacement designs, emergency preparedness and response plans (EPRP’s), operations, maintenance, safety and surveillance (OMSS) manuals and other projects as assigned.
- Prepare technical documentation including letters, reports, drawings and specifications.
- Provide direction to engineers, EITs and designers and maintain the quality of work throughout a project.
- Follow applicable health, safety and environmental policies, procedures, standards and guidelines in the execution of all work.
Significant Qualifications and Experience:
You must be a highly motivated and an independent learner with a desire to be involved with all aspects of consulting engineering services related to dams, including dam safety reviews, public safety risk assessments, environmental assessments, design projects and more.
Ideal qualifications include:
- Bachelor degree in Civil Engineering with a focus on Structural, Water Resources or Geotechnical Engineering.
- Licensed as a Professional Engineer in the Province of Ontario.
- Preferred 5 years, minimum 2 years, of relevant experience related to the key responsibilities of the position for the Project Engineer role. A minimum of 10 years of relevant experience is required for the Senior Project Engineer role.
- Knowledge of the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry (MNRF) Technical Bulletins and Best Management Practices for Dams and the Canadian Dam Association (CDA) Dam Safety Guidelines and Technical Bulletins.
- Experience in the completion of dam safety reviews, public safety risk assessments, dam rehabilitation and replacement design and other dam related projects.
- Must be available to undertake fieldwork across Ontario.
- Must hold, or be eligible to obtain, an Ontario G class drivers license.
- Excellent verbal and written English communication skills.
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office suite of tools including, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Microsoft Project.
Additional experience that would be considered an asset includes:
- Experience in the completion of stability assessments for concrete gravity dams.
- Experience in completing design tasks for concrete dam rehabilitation or replacement projects, including the preparation of design drawings and specification packages.
- Experience undertaking inspections of dams and water control structures.
- Experience with 1D and 2D hydraulic modelling in HEC-RAS, dam breach analyses and flood inundation studies.
- Experience with hydrology studies including hydrologic modelling using Visual OTTHYMO and/or HEC-HMS and station frequency analysis.
- Experience with the ESRI ArcMap Geographic Information System (GIS) software package.
- Experience in the completion of slope stability assessments for earth embankment dams.
- Experience in design for earth dam rehabilitation re replacement projects, including the reparation of design drawings and specification packages.
- Experience working on mine tailings dams.
At Wills, our partnerships with our team members, clients and community are rooted in respect and are fostered through a work environment that is committed to supporting, cultivating and preserving a culture of diversity, equity and inclusion that respects people’s dignity, ideas and beliefs.
We value smart work and promote work-life balance for employees through our flexible work options. We also provide a social and professional work environment that supports personal and professional goals for all team members.
We are socially conscious and strive to make in difference in the communities where we live and work.
Why this Job Matters
The work we do has a direct impact on the safety of our friends, families and the people of Ontario everyday. This is a responsibility that we take very seriously. Daily activities and decisions by our various teams have a direct impact on the people that use the infrastructure we assess/design, both locally and provincially, making it important to have top talent.
What You Will Gain
As a Senior Project Engineer/Project Engineer, you will gain hands-on design experience in the consulting engineering environment. You will have the opportunity to apply the engineering skills developed to date, as well as advance your knowledge of engineering theory, practical applications and societal implications of our engineering work. Depending on your interests and motivation, this job can provide an opportunity for a broad-based experience.
At Wills, we form partnerships with our staff, our clients and the public to create engineering solutions that work for today’s complex problems.
Wills offers a competitive compensation package with comprehensive benefits and merit based bonuses for performance and tenure.
If you are a goal oriented, highly motivated individual who is looking to join a successful team, Wills is interested in speaking with you.
If interested, please apply directly on the Careers page of our website at www.dmwills.com/contact-us/#cu-careers and submit your cover letter and resume/CV.
We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest, however, please note that only those applicants selected for further consideration will be contacted.
If selected for an interview, please advise us if you require accommodation.