Organizational Unit: Construction
Duration: 2 years
Language Requirements: English
The NRC Advantage
GREAT MINDS. ONE GOAL. CANADA’S SUCCESS.
The National Research Council of Canada represents a powerful partnering option for anyone looking to push the boundaries of science and industry. In fact, as the Government of Canada’s largest research organization supporting industrial innovation, the advancement of knowledge and technology development, we have become catalysts for innovation. For over a hundred years, the impact of our work with industry leaders and other government bodies has shaped Canada’s future. We partner with some of the most creative and solutions-driven minds in the world.
And now, we want to partner with you. Be part of our collective force to come up with potentially disruptive solutions to Canada’s current and future technology challenges. Let your expertise and inspirations make an impact by joining the NRC.
Help bring research to life and drive your career forward with the National Research Council of Canada (NRC), Canada’s largest research and technology organization.
We are looking for a vibrant and dynamic Research Associate, Structural Reliability to support our Construction Research Centre. The Research Associate, Structural Reliability would be someone who shares our core values of Integrity, Excellence, Respect and Creativity.
The primary responsibility of the Research Associate (RA) is to support the goals of NRC and the Research Centre through research of international calibre and the development and application of advanced technologies. The RA works in a team environment with researchers and technical experts in world-class facilities. Activities include the development of proposals for new research initiatives, project management, and providing service to NRC clients. The RA provides input into the overall direction and research priorities for the program area within the context of the Research Centre business plan.
Applicants must demonstrate within the content of their application that they meet the following screening criteria in order to be given further consideration as candidates:
As part of the RA Program you must have received your PhD in Civil /Structural Engineering (or a related discipline) within the last 5 years or you expect to receive the degree within the next 6 months.
For information on certificates and diplomas issued abroad, please see
- Experience in reliability-based design, evaluation and rehabilitation of structures.
- Experience in probabilistic modeling and simulation of performance of structures under extreme events and/or aging.
- Experience in risk-based design, evaluation and rehabilitation of structures.
- Experience in data collection and analysis, overseeing data production, and ensuring data quality.
- Experience in test design and conducting structural tests would be considered an asset.
Condition of Employment
Candidates will be assessed on the basis of the following criteria:
- Knowledge of methods for reliability-based design and evaluation of structures.
- Knowledge of stochastic modeling of loads, resistance and performance structures.
- Ability to implement stochastic models into practical decision support tools for risk-based design, evaluation, rehabilitation and protection of structures.
- Research – Teamwork (Level 2)
- Research – Creative thinking (Level 2)
- Research – Self-knowing and self-development (Level 2)
- Research – Results orientation (Level 2)
- Research – Communication (Level 2)
For this position, the NRC will evaluate candidates using the following competency profile: Research
Relocation assistance will be determined in accordance with the NRC’s directives.
From $52,854 to $149,416 per annum.
The Research Associate (RA) Program is unique to the NRC. It falls under the RO/RCO classification system which uses a person-based classification system instead of the more common duties-based classification system. Candidates are remunerated based on their expertise, skill, outcomes and impacts of their previous work experience.
** All applications must be submitted on-line. All external competitions are available via NRC Careers Website Please do not email your applications.
In order to be considered for the Research Associate program please include the following in your application. Failure to do so will result in your application being excluded from searches.
- Two letters of recommendation
When submitting your application you can include the required documents in any attachment field such as «Second language evaluation results» or «Other attachments».
- NRC employees enjoy a wide-range of benefits including comprehensive health and dental plans, pension and insurance plans, vacation and other leave entitlements.
- Preference will be given to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada. Please include citizenship information in your application.
- The incumbent must adhere to safe workplace practices at all times.
As an employer who values diversity in its workforce, we encourage candidates to self-identify as members of the following designated groups: women, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities. Measures for accommodation are available to all candidates retained for further assessment.
Please direct your questions, with the requisition number (941) to:
Closing Date: Posted until filled
For more information on career tools and other resources, check out:
Career tools and resources