Are You Awesome? Do you want to be part of a high performance organization? D.M. Wills Associates has an opportunity for Manager, Structural (Bridge) Engineering.
At Wills, we build partnerships with our team members, clients and community rooted in respect and fostered through a work environment that is committed to supporting, cultivating and preserving a culture of diversity, equity and inclusion.
At Wills, we value smart work and promote a work-life balance for team members through our flexible work options including hybrid work options. We provide a social and professional working environment that supports personal and professional goals for our team members. We believe what we do has a significant impact on our community and the communities where we work. This is something we take very seriously.
Why this Job Matters
At Wills, we form partnerships with our staff, our clients and the public to create solutions that work for today’s complex problems. On a micro-level the work you do contributes to successful project completion and exceeding clients’ expectations. On a macro-level, the work you do, as a leader in Wills’ structural department, has a direct impact on the safety and mobility of our friends, families and the people of Ontario every day. The daily activities and decisions made by our structural team have a direct impact on the people that use the infrastructure, both locally and provincially – something you can take pride in and feel good about.
What You Will Gain
As the Manager, Structural (Bridge) Engineering, you will maintain and build on the great reputation of the company and structural team. You will have the opportunity to apply your excellent structural engineering design skills on the projects that you choose and to mentor and further develop your team. Depending on your interests and motivation, this job can provide an opportunity for growth into many structural engineering services areas.
Wills offers a competitive compensation package with comprehensive benefits and merit based bonuses for performance and tenure.
Salary will be commensurate with experience and ranges from $110,000 – $160,000.
This position is located in either Peterborough or Bancroft, Ontario, with hybrid work options available.
At D.M. Wills Associates Limited, our Structural Engineering team provides specialized structural engineering services in relation to the design and construction of bridges, dams, commercial and industrial buildings, wharfs and docks. We are looking for a Senior Structural Engineer to lead our fully established Structural Engineering team.
As the successful candidate, you will manage a team of structural engineers and technicians and will have overall responsibility for the team’s performance, including client deliverables, budgets and schedules. You will provide for the key integration of internal and external resources for project delivery. You will be an expert and champion for all things related to Structural Engineering within the company.
Building on the strong reputation of the team the successful candidate will be responsible for business development and the continued growth of the department with strategic input into the work that the Structural Engineering team takes on.
Reporting to the President, and as a member of the senior management team, you will participate in the development of strategic business initiatives related to the Structural Engineering Department.
With MTO as a Key Client, you will oversee all liaison with MTO Structural staff and ensure that all deliverables are provided to the highest standard.
– Communication with the President and Senior Management Team in the development of policies, strategic planning and execution of corporate initiatives.
– Preparation and management of the annual department budget and staff needs.
– Preparation and/or coordination of winning proposals for bridge and structural services.
– Participation in the hiring process and providing direction, training, performance management, professional development and mentorship to the structural engineering team to maintain and improve team capabilities, technical competencies and ensure a high quality of work.
– Providing lead technical support to the team for the assessment and design of highway bridges and other structures including related technical reporting, drawings and specifications.
– Providing direction to engineers, EITs and designers in maintaining the quality of work throughout a project.
– Championing the implementation of Health & Safety policies and practices within the Structural Engineering team for both in office and fieldwork.
Significant Qualifications include:
The successful candidate must be highly motivated and an independent leader with a desire to manage all aspects of a Structural (Bridge) Engineering team and be involved with the operations of the company as a member of the Senior Management Team. Ideal qualifications include:
– Bachelor’s degree in Civil (Structural) Engineering with 15+ years of related Bridge Design experience, including supervisory/management experience.
– Licensed as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) in the Province of Ontario or eligible to be licensed within six (6) months of employment.
– Past design experience with MTO Bridges. Preference with be given to candidates with existing qualifications, or ability to qualify for key MTO RAQS designations in Bridge Engineering.
– Committed to quality, improvement and D.M. Wills core values and experienced in development and management of staff and project teams.
– Strong inter-personal relationship skills with the ability to establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with other employees, government officials, agencies and contractors.
– Must hold, or be eligible to obtain, an Ontario G class drivers license.
– Excellent verbal and written English communication skills.
– Must show the proven ability to develop and maintain Clients and be viewed in the market as an expert in this field.
If you are a goal oriented, highly motivated individual who is looking to join and lead a successful team, Wills is interested in speaking with you. Please submit a cover letter and resume/CV directly to HR at email@example.com, with subject line “Manager, Structural (Bridge) Engineering”.
We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest, however, please note that only those applicants selected for further consideration will be contacted. Throughout the selection process, accommodations are available to candidates upon request; please advise us if you require accommodation.