A Bachelor or Masters degree in Structural Engineering
Extraordinary communications skills in English and operational fluency in French is a strong asset;
Key Accountabilities / Activities:
The Director Codes and Standards primary responsibilities are:
- Build, foster, maintain and leverage relationships with Members, Allies, Government and partners;
- Protect and grow the market share for concrete products across Canada. This will be done through the development and implementation of an industry Codes and Standards program that will involve structural design, fire safety and materials specifications in both Provincial and Federal jurisdictions.
- Represent and coordinate the representation of the Cement Association on the National Building Code of Canada Standing Committees on Structural Design, Seismic Design and Fire Safety.
- Represent the interests of the Cement Association and Concrete Allies through active involvement and participation in the National Building Code of Canada, ACI, CSA and ULC Standards.
- Participate and organize the participation on CSA Standards Technical Committees in the areas of structural design and cement and concrete material specifications.
- Develop and implement a plan to support and compliment CAC’s role and proactive participation in the Built Environment* field (Green Buildings/LEED/Net Zero Buildings);
- Provide guidance, technical advice and ongoing support to internal and external stakeholders on industry-specific programs and marketing initiatives in the areas of the Built Environment*;
- Working with the CAC Committee System, CAC Team and Members, design strategies and tactics to market and increase awareness and sustainable benefits of concrete buildings and other infrastructure to relevant audiences;
- Working with the CAC Communications/Marketing Team and Allies, ensure that the latest technologies and practices are accurately reflected and communicated in marketing materials/initiatives supporting CAC/CRMCA and CCC programs;
- Working with the Director of Communications develop and implement a communications strategy for social marketing to promote the benefits of concrete buildings and concrete based infrastructure;
- Provide/ Act as expert resource and technical spokesman for the industry in the area of codes and standards;
- This position reports to the President of the Cement Association of Canada
- A registered professional engineer with a Bachelor or Masters degree in Structural Engineering with a background in cement and concrete materials preferred.
- Minimum of 7-10 years experience in structural engineering and the built environment*;
- In depth knowledge and understanding of the reinforced concrete, fire performance/safety and cement and concrete material characteristics;
- Ability to work with the Microsoft Suite programs (Excel, Word, PowerPoint) to generate graphs, complex spreadsheets, presentation material and papers;
- Extraordinary communications skills in English and operational fluency in French would be considered a strong asset;
- Excels at interpersonal relations and relationship building, liaising and maintaining ongoing consultation with relevant stakeholders and partners;
- Ability to coach, nurture, mentor both within internal and external CAC environments;
- Capable of understanding, analyzing and interpreting complex technical issues/topics;
- Adept at relationship building, liaising and maintaining ongoing consultation with relevant stakeholders and partners;
- Highly developed skills in persuasion, influencing & negotiating.
- Proven ability to lead and work in a team environment with CAC employees, Cement Members employees and Allies is key;
- Results oriented, both from a financial and operational perspective;
- Perseverance, Resilience;
- Meticulous sense of detail;
- Ability to be flexible/adaptable and shift priorities in a fast-paced environment;
- Receive and respond to requests on a timely basis for information and input from members, external stakeholders (such as partners, cement allies, government officials) and colleagues;
- Discretion, tact;
- Works well under pressure.
- Sit work at a desk for an extended period of the time;
- Walk to and from meetings within a walking distance of 10-15 minutes;
- Stand for an extended period of time at networking events;
- Ability to travel 25% of the time (train, plane, automobile);
- Comfort and ability to visit and move around industrial facilities;
- Exert up to 20 lbs. of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 lbs. of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects;
- Physical demands are in excess of those of sedentary work;
- Light work usually requires walking or standing to a significant degree.
- Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word. Oral Communications is an important in this position and you must be capable of imparting oral information to members, allies and external stakeholders in a clear and concise manner.
This position reports to the President & CEO
The Cement Association of Canada is an equal opportunity employer. It strives to recruit and select applicants for employments solely on the basis of their qualifications, with emphasis on selecting the best qualified person for the Job. CAC does not discriminate again applicants on base of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, or disability or any status or condition protected by applicable federal, provincial or local law.
*The term “Built Environment” refers to the human-made surroundings that provide the setting for human activity, ranging in scale from personal shelter and buildings to neighborhoods and cities that can often include their supporting infrastructure, such as water supply or energy networks.
In practice, the term is typically used to describe the interdisciplinary field which addresses the design, construction, management and use of these man-made surroundings as an interrelated whole as well as their relationship to human activities over time (rather than a particular element in isolation or at a single moment in time). The field is generally not regarded as a traditional profession or academic discipline in its own right, instead drawing upon areas such as economics, law, public policy, management, design, technology, and environmental sustainability.
Respondents to this job ad should send their cover letter and resume to: email@example.com