In June 2020, the Board of Directors approved the following three Strategic Directions for CSCE. These three Strategic Directions will be integrated into all aspects of CSCE’s operation over the coming years. This section of the website will report on progress made in the implementation of actions that support the Strategic Directions:
1 – Growing the changing Civil Engineering Community in Canada together
CSCE supports and promotes equitable and inclusive initiatives within all areas of civil engineering activity across all cultures, needs, ages, genders and geographic regions.
This can be done through:
- Inclusivity of all engineers from young to senior engineers
- EDI- Increasing females and diversity in civil engineering
- Mentorship, learning and collaboration between engineers of different levels of experience
- Increasing cross-disciplinary collaborations
- Increasing accessibility of civil engineering to all including those with disabilities and First Nation communities
2 – Promotion of Civil Engineering to all
CSCE is a learned society actively engaged in enhancing the profile of civil engineering.
This can be done by:
- Continuing to provide opportunities and promote civil engineering to students and associates to gain access to experience to help them succeed
- Bringing civil engineering to the masses (public, other organizations, government).
- Providing basic information about what civil engineering is all about, the process of becoming a civil engineer, etc. and how civil engineers benefit society to all, particularly the young
- Promotion of engineering education and research internationally
3 – Leadership in Sustainability Practices for Civil Engineering
CSCE will influence civil engineering practices in Canada through the entire lifecycle of a process.
This would include:
- Providing initiatives such as the Infrastructure report card, Envision Canada, Pledge signed at the Triennial, Sustainability tools, Asset Management Committee, etc. to promote sustainability
- Providing guidance on resilience and adaptation to climate change in infrastructure.
- Providing updates and developments about sustainability methods, materials, tools across all disciplines of civil engineering
- Sharing what our partners (Affiliate, Corporate & Sustaining) are doing about sustainability and leveraging these networks to do more under the CSCE name.
- International activities and learning from others in regards to innovation & sustainability and how we can introduce these concepts to Canada.
Vision 2020 August 2012 Communication to Members
Discussion document from Premiers’ meeting on Infrastructure – August 6, 2014
Report from Asset Management Roundtable – March 19, 2015
Strategic Initiatives Report Cards
Your Board of Directors was very successful in accomplishing the Strategic Initiatives they committed to for 2016, as shown in the following report, issued to all members in January 2017
Strategic Accomplishments of 2016
Your Board of Directors met in November, 2016 in Montreal with representatives of all Regions and Technical Divisions to set Strategic objectives for 2017. The following report summarizes what the Board is committed to accomplish in 2017.
CSCE Board of Directors continues its commitment to our Strategic Planning process and has made the following reports available to the members: Strategic Accomplishments of 2015 and Strategic initiatives 2016 – January
A new set of strategic initiatives for the Board of Directors was developed and committed to at the annual Board workshop in Toronto during the weekend of November 22-23, 2014, as summarized on the CSCE Strategic Initiatives Report for 2015. The Board of Directors will report to the members on progress made against these commitments in June 2015.
Progress has been made on all of the 2015 Strategic Initiatives committed to by the Board of Directors in January of this year. Please see the June 2015 update on our Strategic Initiatives here for more details on what we have accomplished so far this year.
In June of 2014 the Board of Directors of CSCE committed to several strategic initiatives: CSCE Strategic Initiatives Report Card June 2014 .
The Board of Directors are proud to provide members with the CSCE Strategic Accomplishments of 2014 report which outlines progress made on the strategic initiatives in the period June to December, 2014.